As the Black segment becomes more prominent – both as a consumer as well as an influencer, more and more brands are buying in to find innovative and interesting ways to attach themselves to this market.
The increase in volume of Black targeted advertising has made it more difficult to connect with consumers in a meaningful way. As the marketing landscape continues to become more saturated, it is no longer enough just to show up; brands need to have something relevant to say.
With the characteristics and values of the Lexus brand in mind, WI developed a content-driven marketing initiative in the form of Verses and Flow – a show that is literally all about speaking the language of the Black luxury audience.
Verses and Flow is a show literally about speaking the language of the Black luxury audience
Verses and Flow launched in November 2011 with the intention of organically connecting to the Black segment by providing content that was engaging to the target audience. The goal was to demonstrate how Lexus shares the passions and interests of its audience, as well as promoting brand awareness within an elevated audience among the Black segment. What we didn’t expect was the enormous outpouring of love, attention, and participation from within the Black community, with steadily increasing viewership and social media interaction.
Within a period of three years, the show has developed a social media following of 60,000+, and has garnered much positive PR and critical acclaim, as well as multiple award nominations and one win.
Season 3 Highlights:
- Overall (paid media) impression value for the campaign was 140MM
- 60,000 + visits driven to Versesandflow.com (in 2013 only)
- Overall campaign CTR of 0.46% (3x the industry standard)
- Overall (earned media) impression value of PR and social media initiatives estimated over 220MM
- Increase in Lexus brand association with Verses and Flow and spoken word as a sub-culture
- Top five show on TVOne network since Season One.
- According to overall social mentions, Verses and Flow ranked #30 amongst network TV shows for the premiere. (Source: Trendrr)
- Sponsorship of Jill Scott Tour (330,148 total attendees)
- UPTOWN Magazine article on Lexus Verses and Flow
- Notable mentions from celebrities including Soledad O’Brien and Dwyane Wade
- 400% + increase in social following and social engagement
- Record amount of RSVPs for Verses and Flow live events
- Among TV One loyal viewers, awareness of Verses and Flow is high (74%), and two-thirds of these individuals have sampled the program
- Lexus brand awareness clearly over-indexes among those who are aware (45%) of the involvement
With the fourth season of Verses and Flow ending in October, we are continuing to look for ways to build both the content and interactive elements of Verses and Flow for greater consumer engagement.